The first COVERPRO accessory I would like to focus on is the HEMMING GUIDE PART # 795839104. There are 2 different hemming guides. I prefer this one which is the more deluxe version. It will assist you to make perfectly even & neat coverhems from 5/8 – 1 3/4 inches wide. (or 1.5 – 4.5cm if you are metric when it comes to your sewing room)
You will be stitching with the right side of the fabric up with the hem turned up underneath. This makes it hard to see exactly where the hem raw edge is underneath. However, using this hemming guide, it becomes SO much easier to sew straight and evenly covering the edge of the hem underneath as you do so.
HINTS & TIPS FOR USING THIS HEMMING GUIDE:
- Fold up the desired hem & measure for accuracy.
- Press firmly to form a crease on the fold
- If necessary, apply stay tape to the inside of the hem fold. I recommend this for all soft or light weight knit fabrics to prevent “tunneling” and puckering of the coverhem. if you use stay tape, you will be happy with your professional and flat hems.
- Attach the hemming guide to the JANOME CPX as per instructions on the blister pack of this accessory.
- First line up the raw edge of the hem turn-up with the LEFT needle. Pin or mark ahead of time on top of the fabric to make it easier to see where this edge is.
- Lower the needles into the folded hem line.
- Adjust the seam/hem guide (white screws) to line the hemming guide up with the folded pressed edge of the hem. Tighten the screws
- Position the white hem sliding guide (UNDERNEATH) to hold the folded hem turn-up in place.
- Position the metal hem smoother (ON TOP) over the folded hem edge to keep this in psoition as well.
- Sew the coverhem keeping the hem fold up against the guide.
You will be amazed at how simple it is to create professional coverhems with the HEMMING GUIDE. See your local JANOME dealer TODAY to order your hemming guide.
The next JANOME CPX accessory I will focus on is the TAPE BINDER. There are actually 3 different tape binders for the CPX. All three do the same thing but are for different size binding.
- TAPE BINDER Part # 795824014 yields finished binding of 3/8 inch or 8mm. You start with a tape of 1 1/4 inches or 32mm. This package includes the base plate for attaching the binder to the JANOME CPX as well as the foot & screws.
- TAPE BINDER Part # 795842007 sarts with tape of 42mm or 1 5/8 inches to give a finished binding of 12mm or 1/2 inch wide. This package also comes with the base plate, foot & screws.
- TAPE BINDER Part # 795845000 is for wide binding of 50mm or 2 inches wide to give finished binding of 15mm or 5/8 inch. This package does NOT include the base plate & screws so should be an add-on for owners of #1 or #2 above.