DID YOU KNOW THAT WE HAVE A NUMBER OF VIDEO’S THAT YOU CAN WATCH ON YOU TUBE SHOWING CERTAIN FEATURES ON OUR SERGERS????
Maybe some of you did know this as these particular serger video’s are among the most watched of all the video’s we have made available for you!! OK, OK…..I can hear you asking me already where you can find these video’s……here is where:
Either go to You tube & do a search for JANOME SERGER video’s. This link is only just one of the you tube video’s where I introduce the JANOME 1200D SERGER
- OR better still, go to the LEARNING CENTER tab at the top of our www.janome.ca home page and select INSPIRATION VIDEO’S from the drop-down menu .
Voila! for your watching & listening pleasure and information. Tell us what you think; send us a comment; tell us what else you’d like to see on video……………..we love to have your feedback as that gives us positive information of what to offer you next.
Today I thought I would share some of the fun stuff you can do with your JANOME serger ……….MAGIC stuff! It will be a bit of a serendipity of a bunch of different things. Hope you find some or all of it useful in your sewing room.
- You must have seen those fun & funky knitted scarves that have been the rage for quite a while?
I got caught up in that and must have knitted ……ah, probably 15 or 16 of them. I kept a few which I still wear but I also gave a lot away as gifts to family & friends. Now these are lovely but the yarn is not that inexpensive – probably around $15 – $20 CAD for 1 ball of yarn (1 ball per scarf). That’s sort of OK but when you factor in that it takes me at least 3-4 hours to knit the scarf, it becomes a fairly special gift for me to give to someone as I NEVER seem to have enough time to complete all the things that fill up my days……ie, my time is precious and I try to “spend” it wisely. SO, I am real happy when I see similar projects that may turn out to be quicker and less expensive to produce. Did you know that you can serge a similar sort of scarf by simply threading up the triple coverhem stitch on your JANOME 1200D SERGER with a selection of fun & funky colours & decorative threads? Then serge multiple rows of triple coverhem stitch down on top of water soluble stabilizer so that the rows intersect enough to “stay” together once the stabilizer is washed out.
Check out this project on this Janome America link. It contains all the instructions and pics as well. It is called a SERGER LACE SCARF.
- I like to make pillow cases. Not only can I choose my own fabrics but I can make personalized gifts for family & friends and I don’t have to spend $$$ at the Home Dec store for pillow cases that were not exactly what I wanted anyway! I discovered a great TUBE PILLOWCASE recently and then got even more excited when I found a YOU TUBE video that shows how to do this with your SERGER! Cynthia Dickerson shows exactly how so go get that cup of tea & prepare to sit down & watch this link! You may thank me ……and Cynthia afterwards. Cynthia calls it a 15 minute pillow case. It sure makes sense to me……the quicker I can do it, the quicker I can move on to my next project! Here is a pic below of the tube pillow cases. Imagine how you can embellish & personalize the cuff ??!!
- Blanket stitch on a serger – is a GREAT way to finish off the edge of fleece & minkee.
Not all sergers have a dedicated blanket stitch – our JANOME 1200D serger does have this. If your serger does not have a blanket stitch, you can visit your local JANOME dealer today and ask about purchasing this serger………you might be most surprized about how MUCH this serger does! I call it the 3-in-1 serger as it does SO much. It also has the revolutionary tension setting system which makes using this serger so very easy.
As an alternative, you could set up your serger for a 3 thread seam edge with wooly or poly nylon in the 2 loopers & regular serger thread in the needle. **** Adjust the settings in terms of Differential feed; Stitch length & tensions PLUS bypass the needle thread tension disc altogether: thread goes from antenna above the serger directly to the thread guide above the needle…..yes, I did say that! I played around and found I could get something close to the JANOME 1200D blanket stitch. It was not exactly the same, but “sort of.”
- Last thing I will share today is how to remove serged seams EASILY & fast. Sometimes it works & sometimes it does not & you want to tear you hair out! Check out this link – once again Cynthia (of the serger pillow case above) shares with us in a video just how easy it is to do…….properly. Why did I not know this 20 years ago!!!!???