Did you get a pack of needles with your machine and notice a needle with a purple tip?? And not know what it was for? I think the first machines to come with one of these in the needle pack was the JANOME MC12000 so these purple tip needles have been around for a little while. They are now available in 5 needle blister packs as in the pic above. Ask for them at your local JANOME dealer.
Let me enlighten you about what these needles are to be used for:
- They are for ALL Janome models. Part # 202122001 for the blister pack of 5 needles.
- They are specifically designed to effectively prevent skipped stitches when you are sewing with stretch fabrics; multiple layers of fabric eg quilts; and when sewing across bulky seams eg at a hemline.
- I have been asked if these are ball point needles? Yes, it has a ball point tip but also have a COBRA HEAD which opens up the fibers of the fabric allowing the needle to pierce thick layers, tightly woven fabrics or “difficult” stretch fabrics with ease. The needle actually goes between the fibers.
- I LOVE sewing with knit fabrics – almost all the garments I make are done using knit fabrics. Some of these fabrics present no issues and “behave” beautifully whether I am using my JANOME serger for 4 thread seams or my JANOME CPX 1000 for coverhem ; OR when sewing on my JANOME sewing machine – eg a top stitching etc. HOWEVER, I have from time to time encountered some knit fabrics which turn out to be a bit of a nightmare to sew. Whether I used my serger or sewed on my sewing machine, I kept getting skipped stitches……..like badly. It nearly drove me crazy …………….until the arrival of the JANOME PURPLE TIP NEEDLE that is. Now I have NO MORE issues with skipped stitches. It would be an understatement to say that I am a happy girl now as I know that even troublesome fabrics can be tamed with the correct tools!!
- Just recently at the Vancouver Sewing Show in Abbotsford, we had a JANOME customer come to the booth with a little piece of fabric that she was using to make dance costumes. She was “tearing her hair out” as nothing she tried would stop the skipped stitches. The fabric was a soft knit with that sort of plasticized, “rubbery” surface…..perfect for dance costumes but very tricky fabric if you have tried to sew on this before. We sent her away to try the JANOME Purple tip needles and …..the next day she came back with a smile on her face and a sample sewn on the same fabric with NO skipping at all. …….. Success!