CAN I TURN MY PHOTOGRAPHS INTO EMBROIDERIES? I get asked this question quite frequently. There is a lot to be said for capturing memories and special people in mediums other than a jpeg photograph – which, of course, is lovely…..But those of us who have JANOME embroidery machines also like to know if we can actually EMBROIDER our photo’s too. I am happy to tell you that YES you can.
Now in order to be able to embroider something, the embroidery stitches first have to be created – this process is called digitizing. Our JANOME DIGITIZER MBX software gives you the ability to do this digitizing. It is our latest software version 4. This software package includes a tool called PHOTO CLICK which is the tool we would recommend for turning your precious jpeg pics into embroideries. Some previous versions of JANOME DIGITIZER also contain the PHOTO CLICK tool. I know version 3 does. Maybe version 2 – not sure as I can’t remember back that far! If you have the little camera icon, you too can digitize your pics!
This post is not a lesson in how to use PHOTO CLICK. Lessons on how to use your JANOME DIGITIZING SOFTWARE can be obtained from the following places:
- Your local JANOME dealer who sold you the software package – they are your first go to place for help and software lessons.
- Trevor Conquergood of Saskatoon, SK has ongoing webinars and software workshops as well as DVD’s etc. Please consult his website : http://www.sunsetstitches.com/Home.html
- The Instruction Manual and/or DVD that came with your software is a great place to start. I know we don’t like reading manuals but, seriously, they are there for a reason!
What I rather wanted to do here was show you that turning your pics into embroideries IS a do-able project. Please do not think that the embroidery will be an EXACT replica of Great Aunt Milly. If you try to digitize a jpeg photograph using auto or manual Digitizer tools, it will not be very successful. This is because the Digitizing software (which is object-based) tries to analyse each & every different pixel of colour in the jpeg and what results is this complex mish-mash of tiny embroidery sections that, quite frankly, may look like a dog’s breakfast and not at all what you would have expected! HOWEVER, if you use the PHOTO CLICK tool instead, it has the capability to analyse the jpeg photograph differently and render it into a close copy of the photo though NOT capturing every minute detail in the pic. Let’s look at some embroideries that were digitized using PHOTO CLICK.
Another alternative for digitizing photographs is to take the jpeg (or other photograph format) and “clean” it up. This has to be done in a photograph or graphics software program and will require some skill and time to master. But if you can turn a jpeg full of 1000’s & 1000’s of pixels into a more “clean” graphic rather closer to a cartoon image or bitmap file, then that image can be digitized with the auto or manual digitizing tools to render the more usual/expected type of embroidery with stitch fills and satin stitch etc.
Do remember, however, that with any new skill, time and patience is the name of the game in order to master the process and end up with results that are pleasing to you & others.
- This is my precious little grand-daughter. I am going to use Photo Click to digitize her and then stitch “her” out in a soft brown thread to make it look a bit like a sepia photograph.
- My little one immortalized in thread ….note that there are irregularities in the embroidery which was caused by thread shredding & breaking issues. Once I changed to a PURPLE TIP needle, the issues stopped – see bottom right corner where the embroidery is much improved. SEE the blog post coming on 10th May all about our NEEDLES.
Now for the our other little one soon to be a year old: