Did you get inspired by the idea of a monthly project to practice or try out new techniques? If so, send us pics of your January calendar – we’d love to see them.
- I used the JANOME MC 9900 to embroider “Love is in the air” as well as “February” . Suggestion: experiment with threads such as variegated like I did for “Love is in the Air”
- Next came the applique – just simple raw edge fusible web applique heart. Applique stitch Mode 3 stitch 07 on the JANOME MC8200 was used to stitch over the raw edge.
- Next came the sandwiching of the little mini wall quilt with thin batting & a backing fabric.
- Echo quilting was added using the Acufeed Flex foot narrow (VD) on the Janome MC8200. Of course, this can be done on pretty much any of our Janome sewing machines. I would recommend a walking foot for even feeding of the fabric as you stitch smooth curves around the heart. We did 6 rounds of echo quilting with a straight stitch & the last round was a candlewicking dec. stitch (Janome MC8200 Mode 3-35). This stitch is found on many of our Janome models.
- Free motion quilting of a flowery vine was added all over the background using the Convertible Free Motion foot, straight stitch needle plate and BLUE dot bobbin case.
- The finishing of the raw edge was simple: just a jumbo ric rac trim which was folded over the edge front & back & stitched down. Little mitered folds were done at the corners.
- Printed February calendar page was pinned to the bottom of the “picture” and then thumb-tacked to the wall! print on stiff paper or thin cardboard if you prefer. And print with pretty red or pink if you wish.