The ARTISTIC EDGE 15 DIGITAL CUTTER is one amazing fun tool which gives us SEW many more creative options. We have been offering several posts on this topic as there is way too much to put in just one post. This is part 3 on the topic. Previous posts were published earlier this month (November 2015 Just scroll back on the janomelife home page.
Cut all your paper and cardstock designs for Scrapbooking and card making. Now I am not going to lie to you. I am not a cardmaker or scrapbooker…..sadly there really are not enough hours in any given week for me to add that to my “plate”. However, I have been dabbling with cutting cardstock and paper and have made some very cool little things. One evening I went down a “rabbit hole”……that is what I call going online to look for graphics and cutting files. Man alive…..I think it was 5 hours before I “surfaced”. But I did have more than a dozen great little projects to try out on my Artistic Edge 15 Digital cutter. Woohoo….so guess who had a wonderful time cutting up a storm at the office over the next few days?! Here are some pics of my paper craft handiwork:
Perhaps you are wondering how I arrived at the point of a cut snowflake from my journey down the “rabbit hole”?
- I had downloaded a bunch of graphics and cutting files from the internet: Our Simple Cut software (included with the purchase of the Artistic Edge Digital Cutter) that reads no less than 15 different graphic formats including .SVG (probably the most common format); jpeg, bmp, gif and png, etc. There is no shortage of these graphics and cutting files online – and most are FREE. Your problem will be the time to locate the ones you want! Just to keep things easy, I saved all these graphic file downloads in a Folder on my laptop marked : Edge Cutter. Figured I would manage to find that afterwards.
- I then opened the Simple Cut software and opened the file(s) from my Edge Cutter folder. The software allows us to resize these graphics, delete sections we may not need, etc. When I was satisfied with my snowflake, I clicked File>Export>to Cutters. On the cutter settings page, I made adjustments as necessary to blade pressure & cutting speed.
- I checked where the magenta spot was located on the PC screen & then checked on the cutting mat that the red laser dot (which correlates exactly with the magenta spot on the screen) was where I needed it to be. If not, use the arrow keys to move the red laser dot.
- Insert the correct of the 3 blades as per table in the Instruction book: yellow cap for fabric, red cap for paper etc.
- Also check you have the correct of the 2 cutting mats: high tac or low tac. Ask me how I know high tac is not the correct one for paper?! This is the tool I had to use to fix that mistake!
- Do a Trace to check where the cutting will happen. Great feature so we don’t waste time & fabric or paper etc.
- Now press cut and quicker than you can clap your hands and shout hooray, your shape has been cut.
- Peel it up from the mat and apply to whatever project you are busy making.
My daughter loves to decorate her home with decals & motifs. I don’t think she knows how much money her mother could save her by cutting wall decals, window clings and more with the ARTISTIC EDGE DIGITAL CUTTER. Home décor and seasonal projects could not be easier or more cost effective…….Perfect for Halloween, Christmas, birthday parties; showers – whatever you desire. Decorating for every occasion becomes not only fun but quick & easy.
Will all of the different fonts be able to be used on the heat transfer vinyl for shirts, etc
Yes, the fonts can be used in a variety of ways, like you mention.
Will the Artistic Edge 15 read PES files for appliqués?
I am assuming you are referring to the software rather than the Edge cutter. The applique would be either opened or created in the software and then the cutting file would sent to the cutter to cut the fabric. The .pes file would have to go to the embroidery machine to embroider the applique in the hoop.
The Artistic SIMPLE CUT software most certainly will allow you to both bring in & open a .pes embroidery file as well as save the embroidery design to .pes. Not 100% sure what you mean by applique? Perhaps you mean to bring a .pes applique design into the software? Yes, it will do that. Perhaps you mean turn a .pes embroidery design into an applique? Yes, it will do that too. This software is extremely powerful. We LOVE it.
I just came across some outstanding podcast videos that give short but in depth instructions on all of the powerful features of the SimpleCut 7.1 software. You can find them here http://www.podcastchart.com/podcasts/artistic-simplecut-7-1-software
Thank you for sharing. This was done very recently. These video’s may be accessed on Itunes as per your link or at the You Tube channel for Artistic Creative products.
Do I need to convert image files (jpg, png etc) to SVG? As well, will it read files purchased from the Silhouette Cameo store that are in their own file type? Thanks, Beverley
No, you do not need to convert. The Simple Cut software reads 15 different formats incl jpg; png & SVG. Not sure what formats you refer to in the Silhouette store. Probably but cannot confirm that without knowing what format you refer to.