When using machine embroidery designs, I always do a test sew of my design first. I don’t usually make them as large as I would on my finished project, I just want to see enough of the design to determine if it is indeed what I want my project to look like. I often see mistakes/issues I want to change when evaluating the test sew before I make my final project.
I wanted to create a design using only the features in my Janome MC15000. The large screen allows me to edit and see my design before I begin stitching. I wanted to create an embroidered quilt with a center medallion area and then add embroidery along the border edges. I called up the quilting designs on the machines screen to look for the style of stitches I wanted. Remember, the screen on the machine is just an image!! Thread, stabilizer, hooping practices, fabric and batting will all effect the finished design.
Sometimes editing ready made designs will give you the results you are looking for. Not all pre-digitized designs will be exactly what you want or were expecting. I wanted a center medallion that had some paisley design features to it. I could not find one so I used a corner design built into the machine and edited it into four segments brought together to make my center medallion.
Since this is a quilted project, I used my Acufil ASQ 22 hoop with the magnetic clamps to hoop the entire quilt sandwich. Using the plastic template that came with the hoop, I was able to center the edited design perfectly in the quilting area I wished to fill.
I went back into the editing screen of my Janome MC15000 and looked for a paisley shaped element that would work for a border around the center area. In the quilting folder I found a traditional feather design. By resizing it I was able to make it into a shape that resembled the paisley shape I wanted. I copied and rotated on the screen to make two matching elements. After drawing placement lines on the quilt, I hooped the design to follow the lines on the quilt.
The feather shape was edited enough into a new shape that it blended well with the paisley shapes in the center medallion. I then placed these elements around the entire center area.
I am happy with the placement, shapes, and edited elements for this project. But I am not done yet! I always wash all my quilts. I like the softer, puffy look rather than a perfectly flat surface. So, into the washer it went. This is where all the marking lines are removed and I can see the finished project. But, in re-evaluating this little test piece, I can clearly see that it should have some more quilting stitches around the elements to help remove the wrinkles created. At this stage of testing, I can now proceed with my finished project remembering that I will be adding a little free motion quilting around the elements to help the project be more stable and more clearly define the embroidery elements.
I encourage all of you to use your editing tools on the machine and test sew a sample. Evaluate the stitches and re-evaluate the project to determine if you need more support for your project by adding more stitches around the elements.