OK, first up: please read the update to the post earlier today about sewing a fabric face mask. We have removed the content and ask that you proceed with caution after reading our update. Our apologies that our best intentions went somewhat awry. Ed.
I was planning on writing/collating this janomelife post as a way of sharing with you a bunch of places to easily find information, ideas and projects. If you, like many of us, are staying at home, I figured you might find this useful as well as encouraging.
Hubby read something out to me this morning about the effect this social distancing could have on some people in terms of loneliness and depression. The uncertainty, fear and stress levels can also be a negative factor. We, here at janomelife, do not in any way profess to be medics or counsellors. NO. But we are passionate about sewing, quilting and embroidery and would love to pull together with our loyal Janome family in this stressful and extra-ordinary time.
I said in the post on Tuesday this week, that we are throwing our social media platforms wide open. Send us your suggestions, ideas, comments and words of encouragement for others. We are ALL in the same boat so let’s pull together, KEEP CALM AND SEW ON! We are committed to answering every comment and request to janomelife as well as our Janome Canada Facebook and Instagram pages. Please allow a little time in case we get inundated. But rest assured, we will reply as soon as we can. Some requests for info/tutorials etc are noted and already in the works.
- Did you know that there are already many previous janomelife posts saved in our in the archives…..sitting there waiting for you to access? I was asked during the last week for info on one topic which we had previously blogged about so I just sent the link to that post.
- The Janome USA You Tube channel is a treasure trove of video tutorials. We quite often link to these when we post on janomelife so if you are a regular janomelife viewer you will be aware of this great resource. Just above in the pic you will see the little felt storage baskets which we linked to in our post just yesterday. Great video with Kimberly Einmo. There are many more for your watching pleasure and sewing edification. Here is the link to reach this Janome You Tube channel where video’s are neatly organized into playlists and categories.
- Another great resource that we have mentioned frequently is www.sew4home.com. They have just revamped their website so if you have not visited this website for a while, you are in for a treat. I spent several happy hours last weekend exploring the improvements and additions to this hugely popular sewing website. Did you know that they publish a project everyday? You would be able to find many projects to keep you busy …..especially during this health crisis.
- We also have inspiration and ideas right here on janome.ca under the Inspire tab>> Check out our artisan blogs and websites for more information and idea. Kim from Chatterbox Quilts has a very active You Tube channel with many video’s on Janome machines, feet, accessories and more. (BTW I am actually listening to her Facebook live right now as I write!) Celine from Blue Calla Patterns has many video tutorials and bag making patterns on her website. Meagan and Chrystal both have businesses where they sew goods to sell (bags and kiddie clothing). You might like to visit their pages (links under Inspire tab > Meet our Artisans) for info – I know shows where they sell their beautiful goods are largely cancelled or postponed so they probably now have items to sell online?) ; Melissa is our newest artisan and she also has a great many quilting ideas with a modern twist as well as her book(s) on Quilting with your walking foot.
- There are also many project ideas under the same Inspire tab >> See all projects.
Well……..that should be plenty to get on with for now? We will be following up with more posts and plan to do an Instagram live next week – more to come. STAY TUNED….and subscribe to janomelife if you are not already on our mailing list….that way you won’t miss a single post.
Do remember that your favourite sewing/quilting/Janome machine store is more than likely still open even if on reduced hours. And I would expect you can phone or email to ask for assistance with any supplies you may need. Some dealers are offering shipping or curbside pick up so call and ask. Many have websites where you can order online……..so keep calm…..no reason to not keep sewing?!