We all have our favourite way to bind a quilt, placemat, table runner, or whatever the project, but did you know that Janome has several options available to assist you? Here are 4 different ways that I bind things.
1.) There is the what I call the traditional way. Sew the binding to the front of your project and hand stitch to the back. I have many friends who will only bind a quilt this way, and most quilting competitions prefer the binding done this way, as well.
2.) Machine sewing your binding to the back of your project, then folding it over to the front and machine stitching down the front side of the binding with a straight stitch or decorative stitch.
I love using the decorative stitches built-in to my machine so I use the Janome AcuFeed Feeding System on my Janome Continental M7 to do this. The Janome Continental M7 has the advantage of having a separate AcuFeed motor so I’m able to use a decorative stitch with the Dual/Twin AcuFeed Flex Foot Holder with standard AD Foot. With other machines, the AcuFeed Flex Foot, or Even Feed Foot, is designed to move forward; it really doesn’t want to go backwards or side to side. With the separate AcuFeed motor in the Janome Continental M7, however, you can use all the decorative stitches built-in to the machine with the Dual/Twin AcuFeed Flex Foot Holder with the AD Foot for perfectly even stitches, even through multiple layers of fabric. It’s perfect! I love it!
3) The Janome Quilt Binder Set is a great addition to your quilting accessories and is similar to the way most of us bind our quilts, but it’s a little different as it stitches down both sides of the binding in ONE step! Like most things, it takes a bit to get the hang of it, but, once you’ve mastered it, it’s much quicker and actually quite fun.
While the piece itself may look a little daunting, it is actually very easy to use once you learn some little tips and tricks. Check out this previous post on Janome Life. The Janome Quilt Binder Set is available for High Shank 7mm machines with Rectangular Bobbin Cover Part Number 846421007 and Easy Set Models, which is typically the 9mm machines, and some 7mm machines, which have the side thread cutter next to the bobbin cover. Part Number 202211008.
Consult the Bilingual Janome Accessories Guide and your Janome Dealer to be sure you get the correct attachment for your machine.
4) Last, and definitely not least, is the Janome Binder Foot W., which is a snap on presser foot available for most machines. It’s similar to the Janome Quilt Binder Set, but this foot is great to use to bind the edge of single layer of fabric, like binding a pocket edge, or the inside of waistband, for example. You can make your own tape, or use pre-made bias tape, which you should especially use going around curves.
When I first saw this foot, I thought NOPE! Looks way too involved for me, but once I tried I thought it was pretty cool. This is good if you want a smaller 1/4 inch binding for a cuff or pocket. Watch a demo video HERE. This foot is available for:
- 5mm Part Number 200140009,
- 7mm Part Number 200313005
- 9mm Part Number 202099008 machines, so check with your dealer prior to purchase to ensure you get the right one for your machine.
Michael featured this foot with the A to Z with Janome series on Janome HQ Instagram LIVE, which is LIVE every Wednesday at 1pm Eastern @janomehq on Instagram. Check out his informative videos on the Janome HQ Instagram page, or the Janome HQ You Tube channel.
There are many videos and Janome Bulletins on all different Janome presser feet, accessories and attachments available. So many of us just use the feet we know and leave the rest in the box, or don’t buy at the store because we don’t know what they are used for. When you find out and actually try them out, you have many new, fun toys to play with!
The next time you are binding something, step out of your comfort zone and try one of the other methods. You may find that you like it better or it is faster or better yet, more fun!
Contact your local Janome Canada dealer to purchase the Janome Quilt Binder Set, Janome Tape Stand or Janome Binder Foot W – they’re in stock in our Janome Canada warehouse!